- Created on Friday, 01 February 2013 01:18
By Maria Shimizu Christensen
Our News Oklahoma
February 1, 2013
Even if you don't like brussels sprouts, you might want to give this dish a try. The addition of sugar cuts down on the bitterness, and panfrying creates a richer flavor. Recipe serves 4.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons butter
1 pound brussels sprouts
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cut the stem ends off the brussels sprouts, then cut each in half lengthwise.
2. Heat the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the butter in a heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-low heat. You don't want the pan getting too hot.
3. Add the brussels sprouts, garlic powder, onion powder and sugar. Saute, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes, until the sprouts are soft and beginning to brown.
4. Add the salt and the remaining teaspoon of butter, and saute for another 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Photo by Maria Shimizu Christensen.